LlamaLAN XI - VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

17th-19th April 2009
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Re: LlamaLAN XI - VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

Post by CyberDrac »

Hopefully everyone is using one plug since that would be the plug attached to their extension cable, however I'm guessing that you have a laptop and that's what you mean ;)
Joosebug
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Joosebug »

sucks, i wanted to bring along my crystal ball :(.

hehe but still won't stop me bringing along usb glowy shit!!!
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

/me makes mental note to test Joosebug's rig very carefully ;)
ajcorr
Cria
Cria

Post by ajcorr »

My machine is a little hungry :(
Will this cause a problem with my currect seating arrangement?

ajc
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

If you have particular concerns could you either test it before the event under load, or when you arrive make sure that an admin tests you separately before hooking you up to the main power with everyone else, the amount allocated per PC is quite generous, and so you'd have to have an absolute beast of a machine to cause any real difficulties.
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Post by Golem »

A Speak'n'Spell would be a beast compared to what you had before, I don't think you need to worry too much! ;)
Ripper
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Ripper »

0X well my beast draws about 600w maybe a little more like 670w, 680w so i believe thats about 2.5 which is a little over 0X

just wanna check that with u guys and i know shaun next to me does a bit more than that about 8-900w

Ripper 0X
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

Well that sort of power draw could seriously affect the power system if everyone is drawing that, but we're hoping that the rest of the LAN attendees are more conservative and things will average out, as each person connects their kit we will be watching the increase in the current being drawn and we hope that we can manage the few exceptions. Please make sure that you are not bring any unnecessary power draws and you minimise the power draw on your own machine by disabling any bells and whistles like lights and ridiculous unnecessary fans.

Please note .. we are running this LAN for the many not the few, if you trip out the system by bring kit which is obviously overkill then we may insist that you leave it turned off, we will not have the LAN spoiled for the majority by the few.

Bearing in mind you were one of the proponents of expansion we hope that you'll be ultra cautious and exercise a modicum of self control.

We hope that this expansion will mean a glorious new epoch for LlamaLANs, so we appeal to everyone to think twice before attaching anything to the power supply, the Admins will do everything within their power to ensure that all is well, please cooperate fully with them and we hope that this will be yet another great LAN.
Ripper
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Ripper »

lol taking a proper beating for mentioning power consumption ;) yes i do agree and i do have a bunch of fans in my pc but my pc is overclocked to 3.6ghz and requires the fans to stay cool so not too much i can do there, however i wont bring my external drive i won last time or use any preripherals, cept it has half my programs on ;) but i havent tested my pc with a meter so i can tbe exact but we will have to see ;) anyways i work out with 10 sockets at 13A each that each player would have an absolute limit of 2.7083A amps per person tho what is the max limit of the circuit breaker?

ripper 0X
Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad
Location: Flag Room (Well most of meh, some landed on the ramp though)

Post by Kanonfodda »

The site appears to be running a 3 phase supple, so I would say we are more likely to blow the fuse inthe plug than trip a circuit breaker.
If it bleeds, we can fry it :0D
Ripper
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Ripper »

well we still need to know the capacity of the circuit breakers..... and i assume as with any household (and i use the term very loosly) circuit configuration, that more than one plug point is on any one circut at any one time. So yea we may blow a plug, but concidering there are probably 3-5 plugs/lights on any one breaker at one time, that putting 13 amps on 4 or 5 plug points on a single circuit 3 phase or not (and it may have 3 phase wiring before the transformer but after that its all single phase for the sites circuits ones we will use anyways) we may still trip the breaker if the breakers are 45A (sometimes only 15-30A). and typically are 30A per circuit which reduces the usage to max of 2 plugs per circuit and only 1 on a 15A circuit. so when u guys get there id first isolate which plugs are on what circuit check the max value on the breakers and try divide the power between the breakers. but im sure u know all this already so ill just shut up now ;) LOL

Ripper 0X
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

Ripper wrote:anyways i work out with 10 sockets at 13A each that each player would have an absolute limit of 2.7083A amps per person
As stated the allocated amount per person is 2A.

You are assuming that we will be able to distribute all 10 sockets to just the players without taking in account the network infrastructure and servers. We can't. Only 8 sockets will be available between the potential 48 players, two per row, one per 6 players, with 1A as headroom for a margin of error and to run the switch for the table, that leaves a maximum 2A per person, whilst some players will not be using all of that it doesn't mean that there is a huge amount going spare to be used up, most LANs only allocate an average of 1.5A and so we feel that our 2A maximum is as generous as we can be whilst ensuring that the whole LAN continues to function.
D3TH
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by D3TH »

pffffff hand bags at dawn lads!!
Lans Attended: LL9, i33, i34, LL10, i35, i36, LL11

Lans Planning to Attended = i37, LL12

http://www.chris-mccafferty.info

Ripper
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Ripper »

oh yea man dont get me wrong i know theres lots of other stuff that has to be connected up ;) i was just sayin stuff lol im bored at work..... LOLZ yea im sure u guys can figure it all out ill do my best to limit the power i use ;) and im sure everyone else will too, this is gona be the best lan ever ;) llamalans are shweet..... SO BORED.....

Ripper 0X
YaZoR
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by YaZoR »

Ripper wrote:this is gona be the best lan ever ;)
Couldn't agree more with you mate. The anticipation of meeting you (and Dezz too) in the UT tournament again is killing me!

EDIT - Sorry for being off topic
meh