LlamaLAN XV Essentials!

April 15th - 18th 2011
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

LlamaLAN XV Essentials!

Post by Golem »

In summary: You, your hardware, a pillow, and a bag of noms.

Please check everything in the list below to ensure your own experience is as smooth as possible. We recommend performing the action list just before you pack away your PC, mostly to ensure you have the latest Steam updates. We have now made efforts to provide a limited broadband internet connection from the venue. Despite this, please make sure that all your games will play BEFORE you pack up your PC. We know how fond Valve are of their random yet timely updates!
  • Action list
    • Steam games such as TF2, HL2:DM, L4D(2) etc. should be run before you pack up your PC in case of any last updates you have yet to download.
  • What to bring:
    • Your computer (if it isn't yours then ask the owner's permission before borrowing it)
    • Monitor
    • Power cables for the above (obvious but they've been forgotten in the past)
    • Keyboard
    • Mouse
    • Joystick or other gaming controller (if you have one or need one)
    • An installed and working network card or onboard NIC with an RJ45 type connector. There may be some spare but please ask us in advance.
    • Patch Lead (We do have plenty but do yuor utmost to bring one just to be sure. You never know, we may run out!)
    • Headset. No speakers are permitted.
    • Mains adaptor (4-way minimum) - enough for your PC, monitor, and whatever else you bring requiring power. You will not be allowed to use the same adapters from which our own important hardware is powered.
    • Game CDs, even if you don't need them to play. You never know when you need to re-install.
    • System and operating system CDs (in case something dreadful happens and you need to reformat/reinstall... it does happen and this time it could be YOU!)
    • Appropriate clothing to last the duration of the event: bring stuff for any weather - we never know what the weather will bring! Maybe even bring a couple of changes. You're there for the weekend after all. ;)
    • Going in outfit suited to the theme? Don't forget to pack your sunglasses, frock coats and goggles.
    • Deodorant (please?!)
    • Shower gel and/or soap (To wash with of course, though note that unfortunately there are no showers at the venue.)
    • Razor (if applicable)
    • Shaving foam (if applicable)
    • Your own towels
    • Toothbrush and toothpaste
    • Bedding: Inflatable mattress or roll mat along with a sleeping bag and a pillow. Double sized beds may be deflated by angry people trying to find some space to sleep!
    • Munchies: an absolute must. A Co-Op is nearby however.
    • Optionally, a tent to pitch on the grass outside. Not a bad idea if you fancy an undisturbed night sleep.
  • And here's the list of games we consider essential to get the most out of LlamaLAN XV 'Llamatopia':
    • Unreal Tournament 2004 (1v1 Double Elim and Big Team scoring)
    • Half Life 2 Team Deathmatch (Friday Big Game)
    • Trackmania Nations Forever (Saturday Big Game - Free!)
    • Battlefield 2 (Saturday Big Game)
    • Left 4 Dead 2 (Clan 4v4)
    • Dawn of War (Clan 2v2)
    • Armagetron Advanced 0.2.8.2.1 (Is ALWAYS played at the LAN, and it's free!)
    • Quake 3 Arena (Likely to be played)
  • Team Fortress 2 (Likely to be played)
  • Warsow (May well be played): http://www.warsow.net/?page=download
See the Games at LlamaLAN XV and where to get'em forum thread.

Where To Find Us
The event is taking place in hall of the 41st Medway Scout. It's address is:

The Scout Hut
Mafeking Road
Walderslade
Chatham
Kent
ME5 9HG

Grid Ref:TQ757631

Lat: 51:20:25N (51.3403)
Lon: 0:31:21E (0.5225)

Here's a Google Map link with the venue location and details on some shops, supermarkets and takeaways nearby. If you go into arial view, you'll see the roof of the scout hut. If you go to street view, you can even see a photo of it.

Here's another map to help you find the venue by road.

We'll try to provide printed info on surrounding services at the event venue near the door.

Please ensure you know exactly where you're going and how you're getting here. If you still need a lift, arrange it in advance. Post in the Transport forum and request transport from an agreed meeting point. If you're coming by train, we should be able to arrange pickup from Chatham's train station, but again we should know in advance so we know how to contact eachother.

All the best in your travels - hope to see you there. :D Vive le Llamalution!!
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Re: LlamaLAN XV Essentials!

Post by Golem »

Oh and I'm not sure if we mentioned this already but it's important.

No kitchen cutlery, plates etc will be available from the kitchen. You'll have to either bring (and wash up) your own or you'll be able to buy plastic cutlery/plates etc from the nomsite.

As the nomsite eating/drinking utensil provisions will cost you, you're best off bringing your own. ;)
bsoltan
Cria
Cria

Post by bsoltan »

I'm sure I read it somewhere but I can't find it now.

What facilities does the kitchen have?
MackTee
Cria
Cria

Post by MackTee »

e.g. Is there a microwave for popcorn for the movie?
Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad
Location: Flag Room (Well most of meh, some landed on the ramp though)

Post by Kanonfodda »

Kitchen has a fridge, although space is limited (move my pies at your peril). Large oven with Gas Hob, Microwave, kettle and above all a sink

As Golem stated we will be removing all the cutlery and crockery from the kitchen to prevent the large piles of washing up we keep ending up with at the end of the weekend.
If it bleeds, we can fry it :0D
maxrealism
Cria
Cria

Post by maxrealism »

How long a patch lead should I bring? 3 or 5 meters?

Edit: Bringing the 20M lead just in case I need to patch into next door!
Last edited by maxrealism on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
==============
aka:maxrealism
==============
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Post by Golem »

I reckon 3 will be okay, the switches are stationed in the middle of each bank of 10 seats. As you're in the middle, 3 will probably do you fine. :)
maxrealism
Cria
Cria

Post by maxrealism »

d'oh! :sg:
Bryan
==============
aka:maxrealism
==============